Spicy Chicken Stew For Cold Nights

 The boys really love these hearty warm stews especially when it's cold at night.  I love playing around with what I put in so lately I have been adding lentils and last night I added diced up serrano peppers.  I had a bunch laying around because I made chili last week and I hate them going to waste so I used them here to add a little spice. I don't eat the chicken in it so I usually will cut them into bigger pieces so I can make sure to pick them out and only eat the veggies.  Leaves more protein for the boys HAHAHA

Spicy Chicken Stew

2-3 Organic Chicken breast cut into cubes (about 1-1.5lbs)

3-5 Organic Gold Potatoes cut into cubes (I used gold because it was what I had on hand you can also use russet or some other potato.  I use 3-5 depending on the size and how much you want to have in there)

1/2 lb Organic Baby Carrots (you can use 1-2 regular size carrots as well)

1 Medium Organic Onion cut into large cubes 

1 chopped garlic or a scoop of already diced garlic

Organic Better Than Boullion Chicken

Organic lentils  (rinsed)

Olive oil

Organic Flour

1-2 Serrano Peppers diced

Salt & Pepper

Optional - dash of herbs like Rosemary or Thyme or some other fun flavor to your liking

Add a little oil to your cooking pot.   Season cubed chicken breast with salt pepper put in pot and quickly sear the chicken.  Once seared, remove chicken into a bowl and set aside.

Add a little more oil and add onions, garlic, diced serranos.  Cook for a minute or two until onions are translucent.  Add the potatoes and carrots and cook for a few minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add a little flour to the veggies just enough to have a light coating.  Stir a bit to cook out the flour flavor.  You can add a bit of salt, pepper and herbs here if you would like.

Add about 3-5 spoonfuls of Chicken Better than Boullion and enough water to cover the veggies.  You may need to add more of the Better than Boullion but I start with less and once it's mixed in, I will taste it to see if it needs a little more flavoring.  

Bring the pot to boil and add the chicken and a handful of lentils into the pot.  I don't have a set amount for the lentils I usually put about 1/2cup-3/4cup but I do not use measurement I just go by how much water I have in the pot and gauge from there.  It is really just how much you want in there for added nutrients. Cook for a few minutes like this and then bring the heat down to a low simmer and let it cook for at least an hour. 

from instagram stories:


 

The liquid should have thickened a bit and the veggies soft and chicken tender enough to break with a fork.  I let mine simmer for 1.5-2hours just to get a good flavor.

This is how it looks when it's simmered and thickened

Serve in bowls and you can add fresh chopped parsley on top if you have it on hand and hot sauce like tabasco!  We don't eat it with anything but you definitely can serve it on top of hot rice =)


Comments

Popular Posts